Monday, January 5, 2015

Carpe Diem

photoart - patricia williams


Carpe Diem - Seize the Day
by Patricia Williams

I want to run away and be a Las Vegas showgirl ― the  
glamor, the fun and excitement, that’s an enticement ―
what would my in-laws, the book club, the church-ladies say?
Carpe diem - seize the day 

I’d hire a maid― flee the cleaning, treat my skin with
French-milled soap, no more harsh detergent ― then there’s
the kids ― that’s urgent  ― but I’ll let those matters lay.
Carpe diem - seize the day

There I’d be, wrapped in a white feather boa ― nothing else. 
My husband, stunned, the audience clamoring for more.
I’m a star, have fame galore ― with rich admirers at bay.
Carpe diem - seize the day 

My bubble burst, glimpsed me in the mirror.  All that’s left
of my sweet revere is a white feather floating in the breeze ―
escaped my pillow when I made the bed ― guess a feather’s
as close as I’ll ever be.  Hummm ―maybe I’ll dye my hair red!
Carpe diem - seize the day. 


~ first published in Lake City Lights